Community Services Division
Halloween is a fun time for all kids, but for parents, it can be a time of concern - concern for children's safety. To make halloween a treat for all kids, follow these safety tips:
- Make sure that costumes are flame-retardant so little kids aren't in danger near any open flames or other fire hazards.
- Keep the halloween costumes short enough to prevent tripping or falling.
- Instead of wearing a mask, try make-up instead. Masks can be hot and uncomfortable and, more importantly, they can obstruct a child's vision - a dangerous thing when kids are crossing streets and going up and down steps.
- Make sure kids wear light colors or put reflective tape on their costumes.
- Trick-or-treaters always should be in groups so they aren't bothered by older kids or adults. Parents should accompany young children.
- Make sure older kids trick-or-treat with friends. Together, map out a safe route so parents know where they'll be. Tell them to stop only at familiar homes where the outside lights are on.
- If it's dark when the kids start to trick-or-treat, make sure someone has a flashlight and pick well-lighted streets.
- Make sure kids know not to enter strange houses or strangers' cars, and not to stop and talk to strangers on the street.
- Kids need to know not to eat their treats until they get home where the parents can check all treats in a well- lighted place. Eat only unopened candies and other treats that are in their original wrappers. Parents should inspect all fruit and homemade goodies for anything suspicious.
- Parents and kids may want to consider having a Halloween costume party to avoid "Trick or Treating" troubles.
By city ordinance, trick-or-treating is allowed in the City of Alton only on the day before Halloween and the day of Halloween, and only between the hours of 6:00pm and 8:00pm. Trick-or-treating is allowed only within a 5-block area of the home of the trick-or-treater. Only those children under the age of thirteen and accompanied by an adult may trick-or-treat. Children may go only to those house where an exterior porch light is on.